Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Mamaw and Papaw Murray

Family has always been an important part of my life.  I have spent many a day with my Mamaw and Papaw Murray.  Some of my fondest memories of my early years include one if not the both of them.  Even as a teenager and young adult I spent many weekends with them.  I am very fortunate to have the grandparents that I have.   Their home was a place I considered scared.  They were not prefect and made mistakes like the rest of us but they always knew what was important.  God, family and country is how they lived their lives.




Papaw was not a man of many words but when he did speak people listen.  He was very funny and charismatic.  He was respected by the men that worked for him.  I can remember many evenings going to the mill with Mamaw to take him dinner.  To watch him walk down those stairs and his men react to him was quite amazing.  Papaw share many a story with us and made us all laugh.  His passing was very difficult for all of us  and when I go to their home I still look for him.  I miss him dearly.  I remember the last time I saw him alive.  I remember the last time I to him on the phone.  I know exactly where I was and where I was going.  I miss him so very much.    In the future I plan on sharing stories about him, his life and many of things we did together. 

Now Mamaw is still running in top gear at the age of.....well, I not going to say her age aloud but let's just say she acts and gets around as someone a lot younger then what she is.  Mamaw is a true lady of the south.  She is a AWESOME cook and have enjoy many a great meal at her table.  Even today she makes that kitchen sing with such beauity and grace.  Mamaw is accomplished lady herself.  Mamaw has played the piano and organ at church, well since I can remember.  I have not seen anyone other than her play there.  She has had held many positions and has served faithfully.   She is quite the family historian and continues to trace our ancestors.  Mamaw is still very active in her church work and it is a central part of her life.  Mamaw has always put her family first ahead of herself.  Even today she does everything in her power for her children.  Needless to say her grand children and great grand children she is always wanting to help regardless how big or small it may be.  I also plan sharing some great stories about her and the things we have done together.  Mamaw I love you!!!

I was not sure if I would share any of Mamaw's recipes.  I have not asked her if I could.  I plan on asking her this weekend.  I think they should be shared with my friends and family because I believe it is a way to keep her kickin' forever.    In the mean time I am going to share one of my favorite cakes that she makes.  I got the recipe from her and attempted to make it like her but it wasn't the same.  I did have some one  make it and was near perfect.  So it can be done. We will call it,

Mamaw Murray's Kickin' Carrot Cake

I will list it out for you to decide if you would like to tweak it or not but I will tell you this is the perfected version.  So here it goes.

Ingredients

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of Wesson oil  (you can use any brand but that is what Mamaw uses)
3 cups of grated carrots
4 eggs

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.  Add eggs, oil and mix well.  Now add the carrots and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer roughly 2 minutes.  Grease and flour three 9 inch cake pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Please make sure you let the cakes cool before you ice them.

The Icing.

This is my favorite part.  DO NOT leave the pecans out because it makes the cake.  Now if you don't like nuts do as you please.  I would use pecans and no other but once again you can do as you please.  Now for the ingredients

1 (8 oz) package of Philadelphia cream cheese
1 stick of butter (That's right BUTTER!!!  None of the fake stuff.  Land O' Lakes is the best)
1 box of confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of chopped pecans

Cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.  Add sugar and gradually add vanilla and pecans.  Put the icing between each layer, the sides and the top.

Now it is time to enjoy.  I look to have a huge glass of Foremost whole milk when I have a piece of this cake.  Foremost is a brand of milk mostly in Louisiana but any whole milk will suffice. 

My brother Nicholas loves this cake and is one of his favorites.  A matter of fact no one other than Mamaw can fix the cake correctly according to him.  This cake was at every holiday dinner as a child and continues to make an appearance when I visit.  

I hope you enjoy it.  Please comment below and let me know what you think.